Top choices of countries to study MS abroad
Each country has its own advantages. Here are few countries that have excellent universities to study MS.
United States (USA):
USA has always been the best and favourite study abroad destination for pursuing Masters. USA colleges provide quality education, flexibility, internships, variety of education options, funding, etc. Students who fall under the “STEM” i.e Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths Programs get a 3 Year OPT period to work and recover their expenses they have incurred during studies within this period as the Return on Investment is faster as compared to any other country. As per the current scenario of Trump coming into power, students are entitled to apply for H1B Visas after their 3 Year OPT period expires. Trump has cancelled the H1B Visas of people who directly apply for work out of top companies for projects like Infosys, Capgemini etc. He has not stopped the H1B Visas for potential students who go to USA for higher education. Approx Expenses in USA: INR 30-40 Lakhs (Tuition and Living Expenses) for 2 Yrs. A student’s starting salary would be approx USD 70000 – 100000.
Top Universities for MS in USA:
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Stanford University
- Carnegie Mellon University (CMU)
- Georgia Institute of Technology
- University of California – Berkeley
Top Courses offered in the USA:
- Masters in Business Administration: MBA is one of the most popular courses pursued by international students in the USA. Harvard University, MA and Stanford University, CA are considered to be the top universities that offer specializations into Business Administration.
- Engineering: Computer Science, Electronics, Chemical and Civil & Structural Engineering are the most popular engineering courses being pursued in the USA. Currently the top universities offering them are, Massachussets Institute of Technology (MIT) and Stanford University.
United Kingdom (UK):
Master courses duration in the UK are shorter than other countries, it only takes 1 year as compared to other countries without compromising the quality of education. Students can specialize in their field right from the beginning. It houses two of the worlds most famous universities in Oxford and Cambridge, as such degrees secured here are recognized and respected world over. UK comes in 2nd position after the USA for the highest number of universities and if you do your MS from the UK then you will save your time and money spent on tuition fees. However, looking at the current work scenario many students currently do not opt for UK as there are few opportunities for a student to work in the country after their Degrees are over. But if you’re looking at quality education, UK is one of the countries that one can opt for. Approx Expenses in UK: Rs. 22 – 28 Lakhs (Tuition and Living Expenses) per year.
Top Universities in UK:
- University of Oxford
- University of Cambridge
- University of Edinburgh
- Imperial College London
Top Courses offered in UK:
- Masters in Business Administration: Currently being one of the most sought after courses in the UK, MBA is the top choice for students pursuing their masters in the UK. At present the best universities offering them are Oxford and Cambridge, which are recognized and respected world over.
- Natural Sciences: Emerging as one of the top choices as far as pursuing Masters are concerned, Natural Sciences is gaining prominence amongst international students in the UK. Currently the top universities offering them are Oxford and Cambridge.
Australia has always been one of the best countries for MS abroad and it’s been the magnet for thousands of ambitious students around the world. As per a recent study, 7 out of the 100 top universities of the world are in Australia due to the quality of education being provided and its vast variety of courses. Australian degrees can be divided into Professional Development Masters, Professional Masters and Traditional Academic Masters. Professional Development Masters degrees offer opportunities to specialize in a particular area. Like UK, Australia also accepts 15 Yrs of Education and only the IELTS / PTE exams are required. Students don’t need to give GRE exams. It pulls students who are interested to settle in Australia as Australian Permanent Residency (PR), which is the fastest as compared to all countries across the world. A student who studies for a 2 Yrs Master’s Degree in the Country avails of a 2 Yr stay back option of working, providing students with an opportunity to apply for PR and get hands on experience in the International Markets. Approx Expenses in Australia: Rs. 25 – 35 Lakhs (Tuition and Living Expenses) for 2 Yrs. A student’s starting salary would be approx AUD 70000.
Top universities in Australia:
- University of Melbourne
- University of New South Wales, Sydney
- Australian National University
- University of Sydney
Top Courses offered in Australia:
- Masters in Business Administration: MBA is considered the top course for students wanting to pursue a Masters in Australia. An MBA is considered an umbrella course as it covers multiple domains such as Finance, Marketing etc. Currently the top universities offering them are Melbourne Business School and Australian Graduate School of Management.
- Engineering: Always being one of the favourite specializations amongst international students, Masters into Civil, Mechanical and Electrical engineering have only gained prestige over the years. The top universities offering specializations into Engineering in Australia are the University of Melbourne and University of South Wales.
Canada offers an affordable education. The quality of education and living standards in Canada are amongst the highest in the world, but the cost of living and tuition fees for international students are generally lower than in other countries such as the USA, UK and Australia. GRE is not mandatory but highly recommended for Top Universities. Only the IELTS exams are required. Canada education is divided into two groups: Graduate Certificates and Master’s Degree. For Graduate Certificates a student qualifies by holding a Bachelor’s Degree in the same field. These Graduate Certificates are offered by Canadian Govt Colleges and Universities. They are also known to Indians as “PG Diplomas”. These courses offered by colleges are much cheaper with the entry requirements being lower as compared to Universities. For Master’s Degree, universities require a 16 years of formal education like the USA. Students completing a 1-year program can avail of a 1-year stay back option to work whereas a 2-year program allows of a 3-year stay back option. Canada is in 2nd position in terms of providing Permanent Residency (PR) after Australia. It’s also known as a “Backdoor entry into the US” as after a student gets his PR status he can work in USA. Approx Rs. 16 Lakhs (Tuition and Living Expenses) per yr. A student’s starting salary would be approx CAD 70000.
Top Universities in Canada for MS:
- University of Toronto
- The University of British Columbia, Vancouver
- University of Waterloo
- Western University
Top Courses offered in Canada:
- Masters in Business Administration: Canada is currently the top choice of international students wanting to pursue their masters abroad due to the lower education cost and student benefits the country offers. MBA is the top choice of students pursuing Masters there, with McGill University and Univeiity of Toronto having the maximum intake.
- Dentistry: Being one of the oldest professions and safest courses pursued in Canada, Masters in Dentistry still continues to be a top choice for international students. Currently the top universities offering specializations into dentistry are University of British Columbia and Univeiity of Toronto.
- Engineering: One of the most common and sought after courses in Canada which most of the international students opt for is Engineering. Specialzations into Aerospace, Mechanical and Electrical engineering have gained prominence over the years due to the vast career options it offers. At present the University of Tornoto, University of British Coloumbia and University of Waterloo are the top universities offering them.